Published on Sep 10, 2023
The implementation of SAP SuccessFactors is a significant milestone for any organisation. However, many companies don’t pay attention to the crucial post-implementation support and maintenance phase, leading to a suboptimal user experience and reduced return on investment.
This guide explores the key considerations, best practices, and benefits of adequate post-implementation support and maintenance for SAP SuccessFactors. In addition, we provide actionable insights and recommendations to help organisations maximise their SAP SuccessFactors investment.
The Importance of Post-Implementation Support and Maintenance
To ensure optimal system performance after SAP SuccessFactors implementation, organisations must consider these critical factors:
- Proactive incident and issue management to resolve technical or functional problems promptly.
- User adoption and training support to address user concerns and issues and increase user engagement and satisfaction. Organisations should provide user adoption and training programs that suit their business needs and help users navigate and use the system effectively.
- Regular updates and maintenance to keep the system current with the latest security patches and fixes and adapt to changing technology and business requirements.
Ignoring post-implementation support and maintenance can lead to system performance degradation, inefficiencies, and reduced user adoption. By prioritising these critical factors, organisations can ensure optimal system performance and maximise the value of their SAP SuccessFactors implementation.
Key Considerations for Post-Implementation Support and Maintenance
To ensure adequate SAP SuccessFactors post-implementation support and maintenance, organisations need to consider these key factors:
- Service level agreements (SLAs): Organisations must understand the scope and terms of SLAs and monitor compliance to ensure service providers deliver the expected level of support.
- Availability of resources and expertise: Organisations must have in-house resources and expertise for routine maintenance and minor incidents but may need external support providers for complex issues and system upgrades. Organisations must have a comprehensive plan to balance in-house resources and external support providers.
- Budget and cost considerations: Organisations must assess their budget and cost requirements to balance in-house resources and external support providers. In-house resources may seem cost-effective initially, but more is needed for complex issues or regular maintenance. External support providers may be costly but bring specialised expertise and value for money.
- Effective communication and collaboration: Organisations must communicate and collaborate regularly with the SAP SuccessFactors support team to track progress, identify issues, resolve incidents quickly, and tailor support services to meet specific business needs.
Types of Post-Implementation Support and Maintenance Services
Post-implementation support and maintenance services for SAP SuccessFactors can include various tasks to keep the system running smoothly, such as:
- Configuration support: This ensures the system is configured to meet the organisation’s needs. It can include managing settings, parameters, customisations, extensions, and system changes according to best practices.
- Training and user adoption support: This ensures users are comfortable using the system effectively. It can involve training programs for new users, ongoing support for user questions and concerns, and encouraging user engagement and feedback.
- Technical support: This ensures that technical issues are quickly resolved and the system functions optimally. It can include troubleshooting, upgrading, maintaining, and managing technical components, patches, and extensions.
Practical post-implementation support and maintenance services are essential for ensuring the ongoing success of SAP SuccessFactors. By providing timely and practical support for technical issues, managing system configurations, and providing ongoing training and user adoption support, organisations can ensure that their SAP SuccessFactors system is always functioning optimally and meeting their business needs.
Best Practices for SAP SuccessFactors PostImplementation Support and Maintenance
Organisations must adopt a proactive approach to post-implementation support and maintenance to ensure that the SAP SuccessFactors system delivers optimal results. Here are some best practices that companies should consider when developing their support and maintenance processes:
A. Regular monitoring and performance tuning
Regular monitoring of the system’s performance is essential to ensure optimal performance. Companies should conduct regular system audits and performance evaluations to identify areas for improvement. Proactive monitoring and tuning of system performance can help prevent performance issues from arising.
B. Communication and collaboration with the SAP SuccessFactors support team
To effectively manage the SAP SuccessFactors system, organisations must establish clear lines of communication with the support team. Regular communication and status updates with the support team help resolve issues promptly.
C. User adoption and training programs
The success of any system depends on user adoption. Therefore, companies should provide training and support to encourage user adoption and engagement. Ongoing user support, including feedback mechanisms, can ensure the system meets user needs and expectations.
D. Regular updates and maintenance
Regular updates and maintenance of the SAP SuccessFactors system are essential to ensure it remains up-to-date with the latest technology and business requirements. Companies should adhere to best practices for system upgrades and maintenance to minimise disruption and maintain system stability. By adopting these best practices, organisations can ensure that their SAP SuccessFactors system delivers optimal results, supports the organisation’s business objectives, and meets its users’ needs.
Post-implementation support and maintenance are vital for ensuring the ongoing success of SAP SuccessFactors. Organisations that overlook this phase risk compromising their system performance, user satisfaction, and return on investment. Therefore, organisations must consider the critical factors, key considerations, and best practices for post-implementation support and maintenance discussed in this guide.
By doing so, they can ensure that their SAP SuccessFactors system always functions optimally and meets their business needs. Furthermore, they can leverage the benefits of post-implementation support and maintenance, such as improved system reliability, enhanced user experience, increased user adoption, and reduced operational costs. Post-implementation support and maintenance are not optional but essential for maximising the value of SAP SuccessFactors.
About Rolling Arrays
Rolling Arrays has been driving SAP SuccessFactors-led HR Transformation since 2009. The company specialises in SF consulting, implementation, and support and also builds applications to enhance the utility of the SuccessFactors platform. It is committed to designing systems that help its customers to attract, develop and retain talented individuals. In 2021, Rolling Arrays was recognized as one of the top 75 fastest-growing companies in Singapore by The Straits Times & Statista.